Licensed Midwife CPM
Labor Support Services From an
According to Evidence Based Birth: -
When continuous labor support was provided by a doula, women experienced a:
31% decrease in the use of Pitocin*
28% decrease in the risk of C-section*
12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth*
9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
*For four of these outcomes,* results with a doula were better than all the other types of continuous support that were studied.
WHAT DOES A DOULA REALLY DO?
And How can a doula help you?
What DO doulas do ?
1. They help prepare and educate both you and your partner for birth.
2. They help you create a unique birth plan that supports your wishes.
3. They stay with you nonstop, supporting you through the entire birth process.
4. They coach, guide and talk you through any emotional blocks or fears that might come up for you in birth.
5. They create a sacred, safe, protected and peaceful space with their energy, candles, aromatherapy and music.
6. They support you in your birth choices without judgment.
7. They provide encouragement and reassurance.
8. They help put you in birthing positions that are good for optimal fetal positioning
9. They give massages, visualizations, meditations, breath work, energy work, sounding and movement to help with pain management and comfort .
10. They advocate for the mother and her partner and can help facilitate better communication between the mother and her caregiver.
What DONT doulas do ?
What doulas DON'T do:
Doulas are NOT medical professionals, and don't preform medical exams, tasks, diagnose conditions or deliver babies.
Doulas do not project their views onto you, and they NEVER judge you or make you feel bad for the choices and decisions you make.
Having a doula can help you:
Reduce the possibility of Caesarean section
Reduce the need for pain medication and epidurals
Minimize the time of labor
Reduce the need for use of vacuum
Calm anxiety and reduce depression
Help with confidence and self-esteem